Novartis won approval for its multiple sclerosis drug Mayzent, which will launch at a price of $88,000 annually, according to Reuters.
1. Mayzent, an oral drug, was approved for adults with relapsing forms of MS.
2. The drug’s launch price will likely attract attention, according to the report.
Want to publish your own articles on DistilINFO Publications?
Send us an email, we will get in touch with you.
3. The Institute for Clinical and Economic Review already drafted a report that the $88,000 price of Mayzent likely far exceeds levels thought to be cost-effective. ICER concluded that to be cost-effective, Mayzent should be price between $680 and $1,000 per month.
4. The final report released by the institute could change as Novartis works on helping people understand the drug’s benefits.
5. Overall, the launch price of Mayzent is cheaper than its older MS drug, Gilenya, priced at $95,595 annually. Gilenya is one of Novartis’ top sellers with $3.34 billion in annual sales.
Date: April 01, 2019