UCare Minnesota, an independent nonprofit health plan, reported a data security incident that affected patient information.
1. The health system first identified unusual network activity in April and then found an unauthorized person accessed some company email accounts on May 4.
2. After identifying the incident, UCare changed email account passwords and enhanced security for email accounts.
DistilINFO Healthplan Market Intelligence Report
Your monthly roundup of the US healthplan industry.
3. On Sept. 1, the company realized one or more of the email accounts that were breached may have included some protected health information, including member names, birth dates, healthcare provider names, diagnosis information and health insurance member ID numbers.
4. The breach affected 4,806 individuals’ information, according to HHS.
5. The company has no evidence the information was misused.
Source: Beckers Hospital Review