Durham, N.C.-based Duke University Health System and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina formed a nonprofit health insurance company, the organizations said April 2.
Five things to know:
1. The jointly owned company, Experience Health, plans to offer a Medicare Advantage plan in 2020, pending federal approval.
2. BCBS of North Carolina will provide enrollment, billing and claims services to Experience Health members. Duke Health providers and facilities will provide medical services and population health management programs.
3. Duke Health will be an in-network provider for Experience Health members.
4. Experience Health will be governed by a board of directors made up of three members from both Duke Health and BCBS of North Carolina.
5. Mark Waggoner, a previous executive with Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island, will lead Experience Health as CEO.
Date: April 08, 2019