- Rogers Communications (NYSE:RCI) ticked down 0.5% and Shaw (NYSE:SJR) fell 0.2% amid a report that the Canadian Industry Minister is no hurry to approval the merger.
- Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said he looked at the Canadian appeals court decision on Tuesday to side with the companies, though he stills wants to full understand it, he told The Star in an interview on Thursday.
- Champagne told the publication that he wants to make sure provisions that Videotron will offer lower-cost services for a 10-year period are binding and said that they there will be “consequences” if they aren’t met.
- There currently is a Tuesday deadline for the deal to close, though Champagne has said he will make a decision in “due course.”
- Also see SA contributor Bram de Haas’s piece from late last month entitled “Rogers And Shaw Communications Deal Moves Forward After Almost 2 Years.”
Source: Seeking Alpha