OpenAI, an artificial intelligence (A.I.) lab in San Francisco, backed by SpaceX owner Elon Musk, is launching its text generation software, GPT – 3 in a private form to select people who have requested access.
Generative Pre-training (GPT-3) is a language generation tool that is capable of creating human-like text on demand. It learned how to produce text by analyzing large quantities on the internet and also observing which letters and words tend to follow each other.
GPT-3 – the new age AI Text Generator
- As per entrepreneur Arram Sabeti, this coherent AI text generator requires the user to only enter a prompt and then it automatically adds text, that it thinks should follow. It can write songs, stories, press releases, interviews, essays, and technical manuals as well.
- The first description of GPT-3 was released in May by OpenAI, in a research paper. Before GPT-3, they had also developed GPT-2 which was not released because it was thought to be dangerous. Its major concerns were that it could be misused by potential users by generating fake news and spam in vast quantities.
- GPT-3 is known to be 100x larger than GPT-2 since it is trained on 1.75 billion parameters as opposed to GPT-2 which was trained on 1.5 billion parameters. OpenAI wants developers to use GPT-3 and see what they can achieve before the company releases the commercial version later this year. This A.I. text generator will potentially improve chatbots, design websites, and also be used to prescribe medicine.
GPT-3 – Immensely brilliant or potentially hazardous software?
- Although GPT-3 seems to be brilliant, it has its flaws too. GPT-2 is prone to writing racist and sexist language, even though the suggested prompt is harmless. Again, with the amount of hype created for GPT-3, some are also concerned that it may replace jobs like developers for instance, if it starts writing code.
- Some well-known personalities from tech companies like Jerome Pesenti from Facebook, and Sam Altman, the former Y-Combinator president have also presented their doubts on the release of GPT-3. They said that even though GPT-3 is impressive, it does have its weaknesses and prone to making silly mistakes. Also, if the release of GPT-2 was halted due to its potential risk to humanity, it is surprising to note that GPT-3 is being released and made ready to tweet, support customers, and execute commands.
Reddit – One of the first customers for Open AI
OpenAI, a non-profit organization was set up with a $1 billion pledge from a group of founders that also included Musk. GPT-3, OpenAI’s first commercial product has already acquired Reddit as one of its first customers.