In the wake of the surmounting coronavirus outbreak concerns, most of the companies issuing travel restrictions on its employees to avoid any casualties. This situation also resulted in the cancellation of MWC 2020, one of the largest mobile phone conferences. The Mobile World Conference or MWC 2020, which is one of the biggest shows of mobile phones, has been canceled this year. The GSM Association has said that the MWC called off as most of the big mobile phone manufacturers have pulled out of MWC.
GSMA Cancels MWC 2020 in mounting Coronavirus Concerns
Earlier LG and many other leading mobile phone firms had released statements that they are not participating in Barcelona MWC due to safety concerns after the coronavirus outbreak in China. Now the authorities responsible for arranging and organizing the event have finally canceled the show.
Earlier GSMA Said Event Goes as Planned but Cancelled Later
Though the agency arranging MWC, GSMA had earlier issues advisories and hygiene instructions relating to coronavirus and announced that the event would take place as planned. However, as countries have issued travel restrictions and global threat of coronavirus has grown, MWC now stands canceled.
Want to publish your own articles on DistilNFO Publications?
Send us an email, we will get in touch with you.
GSMA CEO Says Impossible to Organize MWC
John Hoffman, the CEO of GSMA, has announced that the coronavirus emergency has created situations in which it is impossible to arrange the event. The MWC slated for February 24-27.
The official statement by GSMA on MWC cancellation is as follows:
“With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has canceled MWC Barcelona 2020 because of the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern, and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event. The Host City Parties respect and understand this decision. The GSMA and the Host City Parties will continue to be working in unison and supporting each other for MWC Barcelona 2021 and future editions. Our sympathies at this time are with those affected in China and all around the world.”
MWC 2020: Most Companies Pulled Out of Event
MWC 2020, Barcelona Spain was supposedly holding Chinese phone manufacturers, along with many other major cell phone firms showcasing their phones. However, with the raging coronavirus concerns, LG first canceled participation in the event, later ZTE also pulled out. Other prominent participants like NTT DOCOMO, Amazon, Intel and Vivi also announced that they would not be taking part in the event. Significant players like BT, HMD, Nokia, and Cisco also pulled out. With significant companies canceling the event attendance, the organizing body decided to call off the largest mobile phone conference.